It is difficult to believe that we are already in Ecuador! This is the last country stop on our South America trip and the fact that two months have flown by does not cease to shock us! Seriously, where has the time gone?
We have spent the last few days in Otavalo, a small town north of Quito. Otavalo is famous for the Saturday market. The locals sell handicrafts to bus loads of tourists who come in from Quito for the day. Thankfully we were able to enjoy a smaller version of the market without all the tourists since our visit occurred midweek. The only things we bought were ¨Panama¨ hats, which actually originated in Ecuador and not Panama.
We also did some hiking around Otavalo. One day we walked through the country side to get to the Condor Park to see birds of prey. We also hiked around Lake Cuicocha, which is a beautiful volcanic crater lake. It was a nice and enjoyable walk, although a little hot. I was entertained to hear a guy say, ¨That was too much...very difficult.¨ I was thinking, ¨Really...it was only four hours.¨ I guess after trekking in Patagonia I have a little different take on ¨difficult.¨
While in Otavalo we also go haircuts. Jim, thankfully, decided that it was time for a trim. He had an entertaining experience with a barber named Pepa who insisted that he try some of the local spirits made from sugar cane. Even after three glasses, Pepa was still able to give him a proper cut, but I can´t help wonder what sort of a chop job he did on any customers who came in after we left. Speaking of chop jobs, that was pretty much what happened to me when I went in for a trim. How I got talked in to letting a woman, who used a razor to shape my eyebrows, layer my hair...I don´t know! I left with what probably best resembled a mullet and was definitely not smiling. I went to a different salon the next day and had her cut off the bottom layer so I am back to a short bob. Oh well, it´s only hair!
Our days in Otavalo have been relaxed and enjoyable...which is just what we needed. Below is the link for more photos. You might enjoy seeing how the locals dress. They have really maintained their traditions despite the number of tourists that pass through every weekend.
We have spent the last few days in Otavalo, a small town north of Quito. Otavalo is famous for the Saturday market. The locals sell handicrafts to bus loads of tourists who come in from Quito for the day. Thankfully we were able to enjoy a smaller version of the market without all the tourists since our visit occurred midweek. The only things we bought were ¨Panama¨ hats, which actually originated in Ecuador and not Panama.
We also did some hiking around Otavalo. One day we walked through the country side to get to the Condor Park to see birds of prey. We also hiked around Lake Cuicocha, which is a beautiful volcanic crater lake. It was a nice and enjoyable walk, although a little hot. I was entertained to hear a guy say, ¨That was too much...very difficult.¨ I was thinking, ¨Really...it was only four hours.¨ I guess after trekking in Patagonia I have a little different take on ¨difficult.¨
While in Otavalo we also go haircuts. Jim, thankfully, decided that it was time for a trim. He had an entertaining experience with a barber named Pepa who insisted that he try some of the local spirits made from sugar cane. Even after three glasses, Pepa was still able to give him a proper cut, but I can´t help wonder what sort of a chop job he did on any customers who came in after we left. Speaking of chop jobs, that was pretty much what happened to me when I went in for a trim. How I got talked in to letting a woman, who used a razor to shape my eyebrows, layer my hair...I don´t know! I left with what probably best resembled a mullet and was definitely not smiling. I went to a different salon the next day and had her cut off the bottom layer so I am back to a short bob. Oh well, it´s only hair!
Our days in Otavalo have been relaxed and enjoyable...which is just what we needed. Below is the link for more photos. You might enjoy seeing how the locals dress. They have really maintained their traditions despite the number of tourists that pass through every weekend.
Hiking at Cuicocha Lake
We are going to the Galapagos this weekend. You can expect an update on that trip in about a week and a half.
Liz- your hair looks cute in that last picture! Have fun in the Galapagos- can't wait to hear about it!
ReplyDelete