Jim did a great job of summing up our trekking journey in Torres del Paine, but I need to comment on my own experience. Overall, it was an incredible five days. I learned so much in such a short time about myself and what I can and cannot handle physically. (For example, I need to drink more water and not sit down when we have rest breaks.) This trek was definitely the most challenging physical experience I have ever had. As most of you know, Jim is a machine. Anything he attempts physically, he conquers with ease. Watching someone do this, especially when it seems that they are never tired or in need of a rest, can be very difficult. We were always climbing up or stepping down; we probably never walked for more than five minutes on flat ground. The path was not just a dirt covered surface. There were times where we were climbing over odd shaped rocks, walking in water, mud, stepping on loose gravel while trying to wind down narrow paths, etc. Get the picture? It was really difficult for me! Especially since I am not the most physically fit, as most of you know, but by the end my confidence level, endurance and sense of accomplishment had reached new heights. Nature somehow seemed that much more beautiful because I had worked so hard to see it. It is exciting to see my physical strength and confidence growing and also wonderful for us to learn new ways to support each another.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.