Monday, May 14, 2012

Earth Day Reflections - A non baby post...

Earth Day always sparks me to find new ways to reduce my strain on the planet.  My latest project: reducing waste from yogurt.  I realized that each year our family goes through roughly 100 plastic liter sized yogurt containers...yikes!  It turns out that making your own yogurt is very easy.  Below is a link that takes you through the process.  Check it out...
http://www.cookforgood.com/recipe/yogurt-recipe.html



I made my third batch this past weekend.  Here are a few tips from my humble beginnings:
**If you live in a warm place, or it is summer, you don't need to use an electric blanket for your yogurt nest.  I wrap my jar in a fleece jacket, place it in a soft sided cooler, and set it on the drive way.  This keeps it at the right temperature to ferment.

**Many recipes will say yogurt can be firm in 3-4 hours, but I have found it takes closer to 8. 

**You only need to buy yogurt for a starter for your first batch.  All future batches will be made from your previous batch.  Make sure you start with a plain yogurt that has active cultures.



**Your yogurt may be a little runny because it does not have stabilizers or other things to thicken it up.


Happy yogurt making...let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.